Artist’s Statement: This month’s featured artist: Louise Hall
Where do you get your inspiration from?
A quirky picture in a mag, the beach where I live, anywhere really- I’m a bit of a scavenger always
looking, watching, in the sweet moments of life.
* Who is your favourite artist?
Barry Smith, Souzie Speerstra
* What artist movement(s) do you feel most inspired by?
I love the impressionists.I love their subtleties.I’m a bit of a feel good person about art.I like the subtle, the slightly different.I like art to uplift, to be tender and enable us to like life, to see how good it is.
Not demanding and deliberately aggressive.
* Talk about your art...how do you feel you art has evolved since you first picked up a paint brush?What do you aim to do within your paintings? Are you a 'clean' painter or do you need to get your hands dirty when you paint? I never saw myself as an artist.An artist friend of mind said I could paint and that threw me into such a spin, thinking I had to produce something wonderful.As a consequence I stopped painting for a long time. Now back into it I have a mantra that I create to enjoy the whole process, not to produce for others and that really works for me.
It allows me to play, create, experiment for fun, and you never know!Something good may result.
* are there any exhibition/art event you went to recently that most impressed you and why were you impressed?
Recently I attended an exhibition at the Estuary Art Centre in Orewa.I loved it; the colours were just fabulous, vibrant, exciting and very inspiring.
* In your opinion, what makes good art?
I admire originality, colour, subtlety and, most of all, integrity in art.
* do you have a website? No
* What do you like most about Kumeu Arts Centre?
I enjoy being part of a group that enables me to develop my own style with clever supportive input.
* What would you like to change/improve in Kumeu Arts Centre?
From the road it is hard to tell there is such a high quality gallery there. I wonder if signage or advertising or a more public display place would help to encourage more foot traffic.